Here are ten quotes that have struck me the most from various books, videos, and podcasts that I have collected over time. I hope you find them as valuable as I did. Lets just get right down to it:
- “Everybody wants to be a beast, until it’s time to do what real beasts do” -Eric Thomas
Everybody wants to be successful, whether it be financially, physically, spiritually, etc. No one will ever tell you they want to be 7/10 successful. In an interview with Will Smith, he states that the only distinct difference between him and the average person is that he will not be outworked. The example he uses is that he is not afraid to die on a treadmill, “If we get on the treadmill together, there’s two things: You’re getting off first, or I’m going to die. It’s really that simple.”
- “Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve” -Napoleon Hill
How many of you have reflected on your past and thought ‘I could have done more’?No matter how much you do there is always room for improvement. ‘He who says he can and he who says he can not, are both usually right’. Not only are we limited by what others think is possible, but we also limit ourselves. The following quote ties in nicely with this one.
- “Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” -Muhammad Ali
- “You can fail at what you don’t want, so you might as well take a chance at doing what you love” -Jim Carrey
The story behind this quote, as explained in a commencement speech by Jim Carrey, is that his father had always wanted to be a comedian, but he made a conservative choice and got a safe job as an accountant. Eventually he was let go of this ‘safe job’. If you do what you love and do it with passion, you will succeed.
- “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one, than to have an opportunity and not be prepared” -Whitney Young, Jr.
- “Take advantage of the opportunity of a lifetime, in the lifetime of the opportunity.” -Eric Thomas
So many opportunities are wasted because we tell ourselves we will do it tomorrow, unfortunately tomorrow never comes. Opportunities come and go quickly, and unless you have prepared yourself as stated in the previous quote; the chance might pass and you still haven’t decided whether you will utilize the opportunity or not.
- “Work in silence, let the success make the noise” -Frank Ocean
This has a deeper meaning than may seem. When you continue to talk about doing something, or let alone think about doing it, your brain has a hard time distinguishing on whether you did the task or not. Thus giving you the sense and pleasure of accomplishment without the actual doing. This is also why so many people THINK about how they are going to turn their life around right before they sleep. You can choose to get an accountability partner, you tell that one person your plans or goals, and then you immediately get to work.
- “On the one hand, we all want to be happy. On the other hand, we all know the things that make us happy. But we don’t do those things. Why? Simple. We are too busy. Too busy doing what? Too busy trying to be happy.” Matthew Kelly
Everyone is on their pursuit of happiness, but no one wants to reflect and make any changes that will take them out of their comfort zone to reach true happiness.
- “There is nothing to fear, because I cannot fail – only learn, grow, and become better than I’ve ever been before” -Hal Elrod
So many people are too afraid to do what they love. Les Brown has even said that the richest place is the graveyard, there you will find unfulfilled goals and dreams, books that were never written, inventions that were never shared because they were too afraid to take the first step, too afraid to fail. The only way you’ll truly fail is if you quit.
- “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit however, it lasts forever.” -Lance Armstrong
“An inch forward today will make a foot of a difference tomorrow” -Aly El-Ganzouri
Just start, and start today. It does not matter how little of a step it may seem, just do something, as long as it’s more than you did yesterday, then you have won. What’s your goal? Want to get into the gym? All I ask you to do today is drive to the gym, sit in the parking lot for a couple minutes and go back home, if you can do more go for it! Tomorrow go and sign up, thats it, and again just sit with the feelings in the parking lot. Day by day you will be glad you drove to the gym today.
I will end it with one final quote ‘Value has a value only if its value is valued’ you can choose to be inspired by these quotes and start living to your fullest potential or go back to your normal life. Do you have what it takes? The choice is yours!